The south coast of Lassithi offers organized yet serene sandy or pebbly beaches within an amazing natural environment filled with gorges and caves. There is also the chance to visit the nearby islets of Chrissi and Koufonissi which are famous for their fine sand and wonderful azure waters.
The beaches on Lassithi's North coast
Lasithi's North coast has everything; from organized beaches with sun beds and water sports to secluded private bath tubs. Either right inside town or at more remote places, most of these beaches have been awarded the European Blue Flag.
Ha - The King of Cretan Gorges
Lassithi Caves - Six kilometers of unexplored depths
The French Speleological Society (LUC) in collaboration with the Speleological Association of Crete presented a magical exploration of the caves and the underground of the mountain area of Sitia.
Vitsentzos Kornaros - Erotokritos
The monastery of Kapsa
The Kapsa Monastery, offers stunning sea views. The monastery itself, which is dedicated to Agios Ioannis Prodromos, is a relatively modern one (19th century) though no one can say with certainty whether it is in fact built on the site of an older monastery or, indeed, which monastery that might be.
The archaeological site of Paleokastro
At the northernmost edge of the Cretan east coast near Paleokastro lie the ruins of a settlement which flourished during the Late Minoan period (1550-1220 B.C.). Its name remains unknown.
At the same site, however, remains of the Early and Middle Minoan periods (3000-1550 B.C.), mostly cemeteries with well-built ossuaries, and ruins of spacious houses are preserved.
Sitia - Ierapetra
Near Sitia lies the village of Piskokefalo, where, as in the nearby village of Zou, archaeologists have discovered finds from the Minoan period. The most striking of these in the area is the mansion of Zou, whose residents are said to have ruled over the entire, prosperous, region.
Agios Nikolaos – Sitia – Zakros
This route, through the eastern end of the prefecture of Lasithi, initially follows the eastern coastline of the Bay of Mirabello to the south and east.
On a rise near the village of Istro is yet another settlement used as a place of refuge by Cretans during the Dorian invasion, Vrokastro. The actual site is reached on foot, but the view over the gulf is reward in itself.
Agios Nikolaos & Surroundings
To the north of the Bay of Mirabello is the Spinalonga peninsula – the small channel separating it from the rest of Crete was only opened in 1897 by the French army, in order to link the bay of Spinalonga with the open sea.