Agia Galini - the calm resort
Agia Galini, Crete is a small tourist resort on the Cretan south coast in the prefecture of Rethymnon. With about 800 permanent residents, it has the capacity of hosting 2.500 visitors.
There are numerous hotels, rooms, restaurants, traditional coffee houses and bars, as well as souvenir and jewelery shops.
The location is also convenient for exploring the many attractions of southern Crete; the ancient Roman city of Gortys and the beautiful Minoan palace of Phaistos can be quickly reached by bus or car.
Agia Galini is built on the ancient Minoan town of Soulia. There used to be a temple dedicated to the goddess Artemis.
Remains of this town and temple, such as buildings, graves, marbles and 2 pillars made of granite, that decorate the village's church up until today - have been found in the foundations of many new houses.
Agia Galini owes its name to a Byzantine princess, who while travelling to the Sacred Lands was confronted with a large storm on the high seas. As she was pleading for Virgin Mary's help, she vowed to build a temple wherever she would be stranded.
The ship grounded safely, on the villages’ leeward beach, which was always calm, and the princess began to construct the temple, which she named Panagia Galini (Virgin Mary's Calmness) since galini means calmness in Greek.
In the course of the years it became known as Agia Galini. Today the temple is the villages' cemetery.
The modern village was constructed in 1884, by families that came from Melampes and other villages of the area, developing economical and merchant activities via the port. Tourism began to develop about 30 years ago.
Agia Galini Map